Baggage Transfer Agreement with Air Canada
Air North, Yukon's Airline and Air Canada have signed an agreement to transfer baggage on same-day domestic flights. If you're flying with Air North to Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton and then flying on the same day to a Canadian destination, your baggage can be transferred between the airlines for you. The same is true if you're flying into Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton via Air Canada from within Canada and are connecting to Air North on the same day.
Check-in and connecting between flights
Starting your journey via Air North, Yukon's Airline
- You will need your Air Canada itinerary or boarding passes as proof of travel.
Starting your journey via Air Canada
- You will need your Air North, Yukon's Airline itinerary as proof of travel.
Connecting to your next flight
- You may proceed directly to the gate for your next flight. Please introduce yourself to the agent at the gate at the earliest opportunity in order to make sure your baggage is loaded on the aircraft. The gate agent can issue a boarding pass for you if you do not already have one.
- Connections in Calgary - As there isn't a secure route between all of the gates, you may have to leave the secured area. If you do not already have a boarding pass, go to the Departures level and check in before proceeding through security for your next flight. You will not need to pick up your baggage - your bags will be transferred for you.
Important notes and limitations
- Interline baggage transfer is only possible for same-day domestic departures before midnight between Air North, Yukon's Airline and Air Canada.
- A minimum of one hour between Air North and Air Canada flights is required to ensure that baggage can be transferred.
- Your bags cannot be transferred without proof of travel (itinerary or boarding passes) for both airlines.
- Neither airline can issue boarding passes for the other.
- Dangerous goods or pets cannot be transferred between the airlines.
Baggage fees and allowances
- If your first flight is with Air North, Yukon's Airline, our baggage allowances and fees will apply through to your final domestic destination.
- If your first flight is with Air Canada, their baggage allowances and fees will apply through to your final domestic destination.
We recommend that you check all of your baggage as there is limited space available in the aircraft cabin.
- Carry-on items can be checked for size by using the sizing device located at the check-in counter indicated by the signage shown on the right.
- Carry-on baggage must be stored under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment. Please be aware that available space varies from one aircraft type to another.
All checked baggage must be presented at our check-in counter.
General Baggage Information
- Each checked bag must have an identification tag.
- Baggage and carry-on articles will be carried within the space and weight limitation of the aircraft.
- All baggage or goods presented for transportation are subject to inspection by our personnel.
- No articles of baggage or goods will be carried when that article is likely to endanger the aircraft, persons or property; are likely to be damaged by air carriage; or if the carriage of that article would violate any applicable law, regulation, or order.
Checked Baggage Allowances
The baggage allowance per passenger per aircraft type is as follows:
|Applicable to flights between Whitehorse to:
||Combined weight of 45kg (100lbs),
with no single item heavier than 32kg (70lbs).
|Combined weight of 20kg (44lbs).
$30 + GST/PST/HST per piece
to a maximum of two pieces
($31.50 GST, $33.60 PST, $33.90 HST)
If the combined weight of all regular and excess pieces is heavier than 45kg (100lbs), the greater of excess pieces or overweight baggage fees (see below) will apply.
|Per piece charge not applicable.
Excess baggage charged by weight only.
|A max of 4 bags, including excess baggage, is allowed per passenger.
Any bags exceeding this limit must be shipped cargo.
||Combined weight in excess of 45kg (100lbs) is subject to overweight baggage charges that vary based upon the route.
- Whitehorse ↔ Calgary / Edmonton
$2.25kg / $ 1.00lb + GST
($2.36kg / $1.05lb)
- Vancouver / Kelowna ↔ Whitehorse
$2.25kg / $1.00lb + GST/PST
($2.36kg / $1.05lb GST, $2.52kg / $1.12lb PST)
- Ottawa ↔ Whitehorse / Yellowknife
$5.05kg / $2.25lb + GST/HST
($5.30kg / $2.36lb GST, $5.71kg / $2.54lb HST)
|Combined weight in excess of 21kg (44lbs) is subject to overweight baggage charges that vary based upon the route.
- Whitehorse ↔ Dawson City
$2.31kg / $1.05lb + GST
($2.43kg / $1.10lb)
- Whitehorse ↔ Inuvik
$4.18kg / $1.90lb + GST
($4.38/kg / $2.00lb)
- Whitehorse ↔ Old Crow
$3.96kg / $1.80lb + GST
($4.15/kg / $1.89lb)
- Dawson City ↔ Old Crow / Inuvik
$2.20kg / $1.00lb + GST
($2.31/kg / $1.05lb)
||Overweight baggage and excess pieces are not guaranteed to travel on the same flight as the passenger due to space and weight limitations, and will be shipped on the next flight based on availability. Passengers wishing to guarantee overweight baggage or excess pieces should contact Air North Cargo for priority freight.
Any single item in excess of 32kg (70lbs) must be shipped as cargo, and cargo rates will apply.
Special items may be substituted for an item of checked baggage provided it meets our baggage size and weight guidelines. The following items may be accepted by Air North based upon those guidelines.
Bicycles may be carried for a fee of $26.25 - $28.25, based on applicable taxes. Bicycles must be packed in a bicycle box to limit the possibility of any damage in transit.
Canoes and Kayaks
Overweight or excess fees will be charged, if applicable. Canoes may not fit within our baggage size guidelines–please review them carefully. Canoes and kayaks larger than our baggage size guidelines must be shipped as cargo.
Unloaded firearms may be accepted as checked baggage or cargo. In order to be shipped, they must be in a locked hard-sided case. Bolt-action firearms must have the bolt removed and packed separately. The passenger will be required to sign a firearms declaration form indicating that the firearm is unloaded and acknowledging responsibility under the criminal code for the carriage of a weapon.
Only ammunition in Division 1.4S, as defined in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, weighing less than 5kg (11lbs) per passenger will be accepted for carriage as checked baggage. It must be packed securely, preferably in the original container, or in a container specifically designed for the carriage of small arms ammunition. Ammunition not included in Division 1.4S will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Ammunition weighing more than 5kg (11lbs) must be shipped as cargo. Shippers must comply with the provisions of the dangerous goods regulations. Firearms and ammunition must be packed separately.
Fragile, Perishable and Valuable Items
We assume no liability for fragile, perishable, or valuable items. When transporting any such item, please ensure that you pack it as safely as possible, and provide as much cushioning as necessary to prevent any damage. Due to the possibility of delays, changes in temperature and pressure, and the duration of flights we strongly recommend against transporting perishable items as part of your checked baggage.
Sporting items will be accepted as checked baggage. If in excess of a passenger’s baggage allowance in number or weight, excess baggage or overweight baggage fees will apply. In addition, sporting equipment must fit within the size restrictions based upon the aircraft operating the route.
It may be possible to ship sporting equipment which does not conform to our baggage regulations as cargo. We recommend contacting our Cargo department to confirm if this may be possible with your items.
You may be asked to sign a Limited Liability Release Form at check-in depending upon the sporting equipment you wish to carry, including if our agents deem that the items are improperly packed and may be at risk of damage during transport.
Air North does everything possible to ensure careful baggage handling, but occasionally baggage or contents can be damaged during the processes.
Damage due to excess weight or over packing is not covered. In the event that your baggage has been damaged please go directly to a customer service agent. The Air North agent will fill out the required documentation. If it is decided that your baggage must be repaired the agent will offer either immediate settlement equal to the cost of repair, or we'll arrange for your baggage to be repaired at our cost up to Air North's maximum liability of $250.
If your baggage is delayed in arriving, please go directly to an Air North agent. The agent will fill out the required documentation.
Most delayed baggage arrives within 24 hours but if you have reached your destination, and your baggage has not been recovered within 24 hours, you will be authorized to spend up to $25 a day for 3 days to help cover the cost of incidental expenses while we continue to search. Your baggage will be delivered to you as soon as it arrives. In rare cases where the bag is not recovered within 30 days, the Airport Baggage Agent will settle your claim up to Air North's Maximum liability of $250, excluding interim expenses of up to $75.
For domestic travel, Air North's maximum liability for lost or damaged baggage and lost contents as a result of damage is $250 per person, per incident.
Air North assumes no liability for (but not limited to) fragile, valuable, or perishable articles including money, jewelry, cameras, video and electronic equipment, silverware, negotiable instruments, business documents, samples, antiques, paintings, furs, dentures, manuscripts, or similar items.
Air North does not compensate for zippers, scruffs, scratches, nicks, dents, missing straps, feet, clips and wheels, exterior tube handles or similar damage attributable to normal wear and tear.
Lost and Found Items
Air North is not responsible for lost or misplaced items. We will, however, do our best to assist you in such an event. If we locate your item, we will keep it at the Air North office at the airport where it was found, for 3 months. If you are trying to locate a lost item, call Air North Lost & Found (867) 668.2228 ext. 778 or toll free in North America 1.800.661.0407 ext. 778.
If your lost item has been found, you will be instructed to call Air North at the local airport to arrange to pick it up or have a courier pick it up at your expense.
The local airport disposes of any items unclaimed after 30 days.