Identification & Travel Documents

Before you leave for the airport, there are a few things to keep in mind: all travellers aged 18 or older flying within Canada are required by the Government of Canada to present valid identification at check-in and prior to boarding their flight. Make sure you remember your ID before leaving home!

Please ensure that the name and spelling on your ticket or itinerary match your identification - if they don't, we will have to refuse boarding. Make sure you contact us immediately if your name is misspelt.

ID Requirements

For information on what types of identification are accepted for travel within Canada, please visit the Government of Canada’s Documents Needed for Air Travel page. In most cases, a valid Passport would be ideal.

18 years of age or older

One piece of valid government-issued photo ID that includes name, date of birth, and gender.

- OR -

Two pieces of valid government-issued ID without a photo. One of the two pieces must include name, date of birth, and gender. The name listed on both pieces of ID must match.

Some interim or temporary identification, such as the interim B.C. driver's licence that does not have a picture, can not be used as valid identification.

Please call toll free 1.800.661.0407 or 1.867.668.2228 regarding any questions around valid identification for travel.

Under two years of age
Identification is not required by law, but is recommended. Birth certificate or birth registry are ideal, and photocopies are permitted.
Children Travelling with Parents or Guardians
Age 5-12
No identification or other documentation is needed as long as they're travelling with parents or guardians.
Unaccompanied Minors
Age 5-12
Identification is required. Please visit our Special Travel Requirements and Passenger Assistance page for details about Unaccompanied Minors.
Children Travelling Alone
Age 12-17
While ID is not required under the law for children between the ages of 12 and 17, they may be refused boarding if they appear under 12 and don't have proof of age, or appear 18 years of age or older. As such, we recommend travelling with a birth certificate or non-government ID (e.g. a student card or health care card) that included date of birth.